I'm a Welsh/English/European/adopted-Singaporean open source web developer and writer living in San Francisco.
I am married to Linz. Together we self-published the book A Little Daily Dose.
I work for the Wikimedia Foundation. There, I built the mobile Wikipedia experience and those little previews you see when you hover over links.
I like to build things that remove barriers for non-technical people to empower them to fulfil their dreams. I contribute to the web in the hope that I will leave it a better place for the children I'll never have.
I am curious about anything that helps us retain and celebrate the beauty of different cultures and I write to share my ideas.
- The new Wikipedia appearance that took the whole village All the other things we changed in addition to Wikipedia's look, January 2022
- Diving into Wikipedia's ocean of errors how we went from an error counter to fixing our code, September 2020
- Wikipedia: The strange case of the wandering semicolon the strangest bug I've ever encountered, January 2020
- Why all software engineers should wear a ring on their little right finger engineering rings, December 2019
- No people no software a hackathon story, May 2019
- How we tackled technical debt at Wikipedia Talking a bit helped us write off several years of tech debt, March 2019
- Why all developers should do their chores How technical debt can become a shared responsibility, January 2019
- Why does Wikipedia in 2018 have a mobile site and a desktop site? On why Wikipedia has a mobile site, November 2018
- Why it took a long time to build that tiny link preview on Wikipedia #1 article on Hacker News 20th April 2018
- The neglected and meandering history of printing websites On window.print, November 2018
- Letting the browser speak Web speech APIs for learning Chinese
- Failing at pushing a Wikipedia trending API On failing, March 2018
- How Wikimedia helped mobile web readers save on data Wikimedia blog, Sept 2016 reddit
- The Wikipedia editors behind the curtain Wikimedia blog, May 2014
- Go on a Wikipedia scavenger hunt with Wikipedia Nearby Wikimedia blog, May 2013
- Wikipedia Mobile gets a face lift Wikimedia blog, March 2012
fiction / non-fiction
- Travelling without small seedlings Using Facetime to keep in touch with plants (August 2018)
- Tinderella Mash stories competition shortlist, 12th October 2016
- Why I Didn't Change my Relationship Status to Married. elephant JOURNAL, March 2016.
- The Temple Burning Man, September 2013.
- The Man Burning Man, September 2013.
- The Letter ‘E’ Burning Man, September 2013.
- wikipedia (desktop) I was in the team that built the refreshed desktop site. [2020-present]
- iNatDex A pokemon-style pokedex for real life nature 
- Skins lab A repository of MediaWiki skins 
- A little daily dose website A book and mobile app for learning Chinese 
- Open Library contributing to Open Library to make it mobile friendly 
- qieqie A flashcard game for learning Chinese characters. 
- m.wikipedia You know Wikipedia, right? I made the mobile version of the site. [2012-present]
Other clients include ilga.org, tunbridge wells winter shelter, BT Group (internal), notesmusiccoffee.